Cloud Backup Review
Dropbox is one of the best known names in the online storage industry. They provide a simple and easy-to-use service that is very simple. Their service focuses around the ability to simply drag-and-drop files into a folder and have them immediately stored onto the web and available to other synced computers. Dropbox is one of the more expensive online backup services for how simple their product is.
Dropbox’s focus is more on file and folder syncing than on backing up and protecting your data. Dropbox does not have an automated service and requires you to manually drag-and-drop folders in order to have them backed up, though once your data is synced to their online service it is well secured.
Dropbox: Features and Specifications
- Simplicity – Dropbox is one of the easiest to use online storage solutions. Once you have paid for their product all you have to do is set up their sync folder and you are done. After that just drag-and-drop and you are done!
- Mobile Access – Dropbox offers one of the more complete mobile solutions with the ability to access and backup data from your mobile device. This includes Apple devices, Android and Blackberry.
- Password Protection – With Dropbox you can make a folder accessible to friends, family and coworkers and also quickly password protect it so that only those you give the password can use it.
- Mobile Sharing – With Dropbox you can actually share files you have stored online from your mobile device, a unique feature that really no other backup company offers.
- “Teams” – Dropbox offers a team service with 1TB of storage that allows you to divide storage by quotas, has centralized admin controls and can do billing!
Dropbox: Security and Encryption
Dropbox offers a high level of security using SSL to secure connections between your computer and their servers. Dropbox also uses 256-bit AES encryption to encrypt your files once they are stored. Dropbox also offers a one-month history of data you have stored on their servers with the ability to undo changes and even undelete files.
Dropbox security exceeds industry standards.
Dropbox: Customer Support
Dropbox provides a basic support package, offering an FAQ, a forum and email support. Generally Dropbox responds quickly to customer issues, though often times it is quicker to see if the solution is in the forums.
Dropbox is also one of the easiest to use backup solutions. As explained above you really only have to drag-and-drop files and that is it. While their customer support could use revamping, their software is really well done.
Dropbox is a great service, but for a price. They are one of the most expensive backup services on the market. The big knocks on them are their lack of automated backup, having to drag-and-drop files manually to back them up and their lackluster customer support.
Dropbox makes up for these faults with their excellent security, their products simplicity and ease-of-use and their industry leading mobile device applications. Dropbox offers a strong service, though with a few holes.
If you are interested in Dropbox check out their free 2GB account!