Online Backup Review
Mozy started off as a provider of external hard drives designed for backup but found that the online market for backup was less competitive at the time and more lucrative for a fledgling business. Mozy offers a very basic online storage solution but it is becoming more competitive as they are adding on new features all the time.
Originally Mozy offered unlimited data but has recently switched to packaged deal through either their Mozy Home package or their Mozy Pro package. Both offer the standard features you expect with online backup, the Pro package offering a few additional business oriented features like server support, 24-hour phone support and a custom domain.
Mozy: Features and Specifications
- “2xProtect” – Mozy’s backup strategy includes both a local and offsite backup of your data, also known as geo-redundancy.
- “Stash” – Until this year Mozy did not offer the ability to sync computers together, well with Mozy Stash, which is included in every package, you can now sync multiple computers with Mozy.
- Compatibility – Mozy is compatible with most Mac OS’s and Windows 7, Vista and XP.
- Mobile Access – You can now access both backed up and synced files with Mozy on both Apple devices and Android devices.
- Block-level Incremental Backups – With Mozy you only have to backup all your files once, after that Mozy backups up only newly created files and files that have been changed. This saves bandwidth versus other incremental backup services.
Mozy: Security and Encryption
Mozy uses SSL secured connections from your computer to their servers, a backup standard. Mozy offers 448-bit Blowfish encryption. This style of encryption is much older than 256-AES but is comparable in security. It just uses a different style of encryption but it still meets industry standards.
Mozy: Customer Support
Mozy has really improved their customer service, while they still have a bit to go, the improvement speaks volumes about their desire to be one of the best online storage companies again. Mozy offers only email for support but they do also offer a knowledge base, a community forum you can visit, downloadable documents and video tutorials.
Mozy’s interface is much improved over their previous version. It is not buggy and is very easy and simple-to-use. It has an install wizard that helps with setup and offers a nice variety of options plus a history to see changes made. Compared to their last interface, the service is night-and-day better.
Mozy still has some improvements to make to get back into the league they once were in. They are finally adding services like file-and-folder syncing, plus they have revamped their mobile service. We believe Mozy needs to update their security to 256-bit AES encryption as it is newer and better, yet we will not say that their level of security is low as it is not.
Mozy offers a good quality product and has shown that they are willing to make changes to improve. If you are interested in their product, check out their free 2GB trial account.